The Three Lane Drill
By: Coach Pat Summitt
Provided by: WBCA
To help develop skill in moving without the ball.
Use three offensive players.
- Players start on the baseline and line up in three lines: on the right side, in the middle, and on the left side of the court, respectively.
- The ball starts in the middle (see diagram 1).
- The outside players cut and then come back to the ball.
- The ball is passed to one side to begin the drill; no dribbling at first.
- The other two players cut and come back to the ball until they reach the other end of the court.
- Players must stay in their lane.
- Timing is important. Players must time their cuts and get open when the passer is ready to deliver the pass.
- Add defensive players (see diagram 2).
- Allow two dribbles to help advance the ball.
- Add a shot at the end of the drill.
- Allow skip passes to the other side of the court.